A bathroom cabinet in wood radiates warmth and authenticity. The natural materials give your bathroom a calm and cozy feeling. In this article you will get inspiration and tips for wooden bathroom furniture.
Possible Materials For A Wooden Bathroom Cabinet
Wooden bathroom furniture is available in different types of wood and finishing materials. You can roughly divide them into two categories: solid wood and sheet material.
Bathroom Furniture In Solid Wood
Solid wood furniture means that they consist of 100 percent wood. Today, bathroom furniture is available in many different types of wood. They all have a different look. Some types of wood are also more resistant to moisture than others. Tropical hardwood is a durable type of wood that is suitable for a damp room such as the bathroom.
Examples of this are merbeau, teak or jatoba. Other ( finer) types of wood are also possible. Think of oak, cherry, cedar or douglas. Make sure that your furniture is finished with a moisture-resistant protective layer. At quality brands, the wooden bathroom furniture is treated intensively against moisture as standard.
- Aesthetically pleasing
- Authentic & warm appearance
- Easy to sand and paint (e.g .: if you want a new look)
- Can not withstand prolonged and abundant moisture
- More expensive than furniture with panel material
- Wood can shrink and warp as a result of poor construction
BATHROOM FURNITURE WITH SHEET MATERIAL
Some bathroom furniture has the appearance of wood, while only partly consisting of wood. Furniture with sheet material is often made from HDF or MDF . HDF is a slightly harder board material compared to MDF. These sheet materials are made from branches and wood residues from coniferous and deciduous trees.
This is used to make fine fibers that are compressed into a plate. The difference with HDF is that the fibers are pressed even finer and denser, making them stronger and more pressure resistant. These plates are finished with a layer of melamine, laminate or lacquer. Melamine and laminate are plastic layers that in this case are provided with a wood motif. Laminate is stronger than melamine and has an extra bottom layer.
- Cheaper than solid wood
- Maintenance-friendly, scratch-resistant and UV-resistant (if finished with laminate or melamine)
- Less durable
- Not an authentic look of real wood
HOW DO YOU MAINTAIN WOODEN BATHROOM FURNITURE?
Do you have to maintain wooden bathroom furniture differently? If you have solid wood furniture, there are a number of things to consider. Use a microfiber cloth to avoid scratches. In addition, it is always important to ventilate the bathroom very well. This way you remove the humid air and your furniture stays beautiful for longer.
PAY ATTENTION TO THE SMALL DETAILS WHEN SHOPPING
When buying bathroom furniture , it is also important to pay attention to the small but practical details. Pay particular attention to the following:
- Can your wall handle the weight of the cabinets?
- Is the height of the bathroom furniture comfortable?
- Are the hinges made of iron? Iron lasts longer than plastic.
- Make sure there is enough space for all your things. Consider an extra column cabinet if necessary.
- Do the provided holes for supply pipes and drainage pipes match the situation in your bathroom?